1/3/10

A "No Good" New Year's Eve

Our New Year's Eve was a long one and I wish I could say it was because we were out on the town.  Poor Harrison had had several days of a high fever, but no other symptoms.  So I felt comfortable dosing him with Tylenol and Ibuprofen and playing Momma, RN.  However on New Year's Eve day, I went ahead and gave the pediatrician a call, who suggested we go to an after hours clinic because the fevers wouldn't subside.  I honestly thought we'd be in and out at after hours and even joked with my mom on the way over that Harrison needed to look "a little sicker so they wouldn't laugh at me!"  Well it didn't take long for him to decide to do that.  His temperature at the after hours clinic was a whopping 104.5! He was covered in a red rash and so puny.  It was awful.  

They did a full work-up on him, as I expected.  His fever eventually came down to 101 and we were ready to head home after 3 hours of waiting and testing.  I was chatting with the doctor and Harrison was drifting off to sleep when he started startling with a jerk.  He did it several times, which confused our doctor.  She immediately sent us to the ER, concerned this was some sort of seizure activity.  I opted to drive us downtown (instead of paying $750 for the ambulance ride).  After being in the ER, everyone concurred that Harrison was doing the normal falling asleep jerk that you sometimes do--however these can be intensified when you have a fever.  In the ER, the doctors also noticed small pinpoint bruises on his arms and face, so he had blood cultures drawn, an IV placed and a dose of antibiotics given.  It was horrific to watch your own child being poked and prodded--definitely a different view being on that side of the bed.

We finally got home about 4am.  Harrison, although still not himself, is feeling much better and no fevers!! 

I am an awful momma and made Brian take this picture--I hope this is the only one we ever have to take.

1 comment:

The Walser's said...

A trip to the ER won the nukie back?