2/19/12

Back to Work, Back to Work

Tomorrow I am returning to the working world and while I am a little nervous, I am even more excited! I knew as a young girl that I wanted to be a nurse, in fact I said I wanted to be a baby nurse and work at Riley. I am happy to say that I did work at Riley (albeit shortly) and that I LOVE working with those little babies.  I am working 2 night shifts a week in the NICU at the Medical Center of Central Georgia.

When Brian and I started dating, he said he envisioned his wife staying home to care for the children. I shot that idea down right as the words left his lips! I love my kids, but I also have a strong desire to work with those who cannot care for themselves. I like making a difference. I like my paychecks (that inevitably will pay for my Target trips, McDonald's cokes and accessorizing my home!) I am also in need of some friendsies! I have met a couple of girls here in WR that are great, but I am hoping to make more friends once I get back to the hospital.  My best friends are nurses. Nurses just "get" you, and as one of my girlfriends said "you need to go back to work so you can be with your people."

I still keep in touch with a few of my former patients, thanks to Facebook! And one of my favorites is a little girl named Lydia.  Her momma, Heidi, keeps a blog where she discusses all the ins and outs of mommyhood.  See Miss Liddy has Down Syndrome and while her parents did know that Liddy would be born with this, Liddy's stay in the NICU was a rocky rollercoaster ride.  I loved Liddy from the moment I saw her.  She was a feisty girl from the beginning and her red hair let me know that she was a fighter.  I especially loved her wardrobe and bows... because how fun is it to dress up a baby?! I was so lucky to have taken care of Liddy and her family for those weeks... and when I saw Heidi's post written about me, it brought tears to my eyes.


Dear Liddy,
After your doctor's appointment today, we took a small side trip over to IU to visit one of the nurses who took care of you in the NICU there, Emily, who is very soon moving with her family to Georgia. We went to say goodbye, even though I am sure that she will be a visitor when you have your OHS. I wanted very badly for her to be able to see how all of her hard work payed off and what a beautiful, happy, and healthy baby you are!
You had a wonderful team of ladies who took such great care of you while you were there and although we loved them all (and they all loved you too!) two of them really wiggled their way deep into my heart, Emily on day shift and Karen on night shift.Emily was there on the very first day that they brought you over from Riley's NICU and she immediately fell head over heels in love with you. That would have been all it took to steal your mommy's heart too, but when I found out that her married name was the same as my maiden one, it was true love. :) Little did I know how very much she would make a difference in my life, and that after three weeks of both of us fighting to get you home, how much of a friend she would be to me.
...  There really aren't words to thank these two amazing ladies for all that they did for you, and for me. They have held my hand and wiped my tears. They have spoken frankly about what needed to be done and have stood beside me fighting to get someone,anyone, to listen to our concerns, our fears, and our wishes. They have given me sound advice and unwavering support. They celebrated each of your victories (almost walking on air with every ounce that you gained!) and practically cried with us with every setback. They giggled and fussed over every outfit we brought in for you, and had to go show you every day so that EVERYONE could see how very adorable you looked. These two fought to take care of you on the days that they were working! They have guided me, befriended me, and loved both of us deeply...and I adore them both!!! I sincerely hope that we are every bit as blessed by the nurses who will take care of you during our next hospital stay as we were the last one!
I am so sad to see Emily leave, but I also feel that she was here right when we needed her, and will do bigger and better things as she moves on. Georgia, I hope you know how very lucky you are!





This is why I work friends... this family and every other family I take care of... I absolutely feel lucky to work in the field I do.  

1 comment:

Heidi Ehle said...

We absolutely adore you. You were for sure the voice of sanity in my world for those 3 weeks...and I am so very glad that you will be reaching out to make a difference in someone else's life. You grow where you're planted, mama. :)
I'm so glad to get to call you friend.
XOXOXOXO